Join Our Team
We cultivate. We cultivate an inclusive, holistic approach to community. Our team is collaborative and works to elevate and honor the full team. We cultivate a sense of belonging. We cultivate learning and inspiration. We cultivate success and celebrate mistake-making. In short, we cultivate an environment of respect that is loving and welcoming of everyone.
If you're passionate about the arts and helping people, you belong at Cultivate. See available positions and learn how you can make a difference.
Posted September 13, 2022
Position: Art Teacher Substitute
Position Type: Part-time, as needed
Positions Available: Five
Paid or unpaid: Paid, $25/hour
Remote or in-person: In-Person
Cultivate welcomes substitute art teachers to support the Cultivate education faculty and team in art education work. This person is expected to provide planned instruction to students as outlined by the art teacher. A variety of tasks are performed to encourage holistic learning and care for the students. A substitute teacher must be flexible and willing to support a supportive learning environment, exercise good judgement, and excellent communication skills.
Teachers will provide feedback to administration on the work performed by a substitute teacher when a class is covered.
Cultivate is an arts organization that offers a contemporary arts gallery, art education for ages 3-adult, and an artist resource center. Cultivate is based in Grand Rapids, but serves locally, regionally, and nationally.
The areas of responsibility may include:
Substitute art teachers work may include the following. Specific job goals and task details are set by the Director of Education and specific teacher, who acts as a lead. These tasks include, but are not limited to, the following work:
• Follow prepared lesson plans left by the permanent teacher
• Complete all necessary records accurately i.e. attendance tracking
• Monitor student behavior, keep students focused and on task
• Provide positive feedback and reinforce student achievement
• Ensure class space, materials, and equipment are used appropriately and remain in good condition
• Encourage appropriate social skills and respect for others
• Address and reconcile minor student conflicts and request assistance from administration when support is needed
• Provide teacher with records summarizing the day and that issues that need to be addressed with students, and an accurate account of work performance for each period.
• Identify special needs of students such as; medical, modifications, schedule changes found in teacher’s plan
• Employee must demonstrate the ability to maintain confidentiality of student information
• Substitutes are expected to be prompt, reliable, professionally dressed, and follow all Cultivate employee policies and guidelines
• Additional expectations will be communicated on a day-by-day basis
Skills and Qualifications:
Professional experience in an arts discipline or arts-related field preferred
Minimum (2) years previous teaching experience at a pre-professional or professional level preferably in the arts preferred
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Excellent interpersonal skills
Excellent curriculum development skills
Excellent classroom management ability
Fill out the application below, and include resume/CV (pdf only). If possible, please include examples of work that you, or your students have made in the past.
If you have interest in proposing a course or workshop with Cultivate, please visit this link and submit your course there.
If you have about the position, or need assistance in your application process, please email Claudia, our Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are not hiring for interns at this time, but will be seeking interns for our spring 2023 semester in December 2022.
Please sign up for our newsletter to get information right when we release it!